Sunday, May 12, 2013

Yesterday...

...was May11, 2013.  This was an exciting day for us as we (finally) received our two packages of Italian honeybees.  It has been a long winter season, and aside from the hope of spring that is now shooting up everywhere here in central Minnesota, we have the great hope for our bees and the beginning of our adventure as beekeepers.

May 10, 2013 (Pre-Bees)

It had been a long process of dreaming, researching, reading, asking questions, hoping, wondering, and now working. I had especially been waiting for the moment when I saw the package of bees, wondering how I would respond. Seeing them for the first time in such a group was amazing, and I didn't feel any fear... until we let them out.

First Look at our "Girls"

My New Suit

Mr. M, Meeting the New Bees

Mr. Bee, Getting the Pro-Feeder Filled

We were grateful to have the help of Mr. M.  He's been keeping bees for 10 years and was a calming presence and a voice of experience for us as we put the bees in and released the queen.  This was a moment that stuck out to me: Mr. Bee's gloves, brand new, contrasted with Mr. M's well-worn gloves. Perhaps someday our gloves will look as well-loved.




Already Checking out the Place

My Favorite Photo of the Day

Our Bees' Happy Home

After our first time putting bees in, I think that few people have what they need to accomplish the things they daydream about and I'm privileged to have this opportunity with my husband. This endeavor has already brought much happiness to our family, and I look forward to sharing more of our experiences, photos, and thoughts with you as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment