Wildflowers and Special Memories
We've had a beautiful week of summer. I haven't been personally out to see our bees in weeks, so it was a wonderful surprise to see the amount of wildflowers that have sprung up in front of our hives. It was a great choice on the part of Mr. T to stop mowing that area - in part so he doesn't get "anyone" - namely, the bees - upset, but also because it's particularly beautiful these days!
| Don't these hives seem comfortable here? |
The hives are looking great and are our girls are busy working on filling up the second deep supers that we provided. I think we'll be ready for our first honey supers this next week!
This next photo shows some new comb, being "drawn out." They built a little cell small enough to squeeze into and deep enough to hold brood, honey, pollen, or nectar.
This photo is interesting to me because I feel like my eyes find the comb first - and the stinger on that bee! Isn't this honey-white comb beautiful?
We had to scrape some comb off of the bottom of a frame and I saw this later stage of the larvae for the first time. In this stage, the bees put a cap over the cell for the final part of development. ...Sort of creepy and very cool!
It was a great inspection and the bees were in a good mood. They do have a lot to be busy with these days and we're getting a bit more efficient at inspection each time we do it.Miss Bee got to meet our bees for the first time, and we did try to persuade her to become a beekeeper. She was brave around the "girls" - just as we expected, and we found a little bit of honey for her to taste.
I am so proud of our Bee Family and it was a simply lovely time together.
Comments
Post a Comment